Glenroy Specialist School is the only school catering specifically for students who have physical or multiple disabilities or complex health needs in the north and west of the Melbourne metropolitan area. Our students are aged between 5 and 18 years. The school is organised into Junior, Middle and Senior Sub Schools to cater for the needs of our students as they develop from very young children into young adults.
We are lucky to have a world class school facility that was opened for the start of the 2013 school year.
At Glenroy Specialists School we offer students engaging and challenging learning programs that are based on the Victorian Curriculum including
- Communication and Literacy supported by the school-wide use of Communication PODDS
- Humanities- History and Geography
- Digital Technology incorporating a wide variety of access devices
- The Arts - Music and music therapy, Visual Arts
- Health And Physical Education – Aquatics, sports and gross motor games activities, individual mobility programs including bike riding, walking, standing and motorised wheelchair training, hand function programs
- Personal, Social and Community Health - A meal time program that provides each student with 1:1 time each day to support their nutrition and hydration needs and for skill development to maximise their independence, and social and community skills programs
- Home learning support for students who are unable to attend school
- VCAL/VET where appropriate
- A Transition program to support our most senior students and their families as decisions are made about adult pathways.
At Glenroy Specialist School we have
- Experienced teachers and assistants working with Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Pathologists and nurses as a total team approach to support students’ access to ensure that every students is able to participate in classroom programs and gain maximum benefit from the school curriculum.
- Visiting specialist teachers trained to cater for the visually and hearing impaired.
- Visiting doctors, wheelchair specialists and a hairdresser
- A Parents’ lounge with a kitchenette and internet facilities
Glenroy Specialist School teachers and therapists work closely with RCH professionals. Teachers work collaboratively with the RCH Education Unit to maintain the students’ education during extended hospital stays.